- An MVD Exclusive
- Format: Blu-ray
- SKU: MVD8568BR
- UPC: 760137856887
- Street Date: 09/27/22
- PreBook Date: 08/23/22
- Label: MVD Rewind Collection »
- Genre: Drama
- Run Time: 100 mins
- Number of Discs: 1
- Audio: 5.1 SURROUND
- Year of Production: 1988
- Region Code: 1
- Box Lot: 30
- Territory: US,CA
- Language: English
Cast & Crew
- Actor: Bud Cort
- Actor: Jenny Wright
- Actor: Doug Hutchison
- Actor: Adam Baldwin
- Actor: Wallace Langham
- Actor: Ilan Mitchell-Smith
- Actor: John Glover
- Director: Keith Gordon
- Producer: Jonathan D. Krane
- Director: Keith Gordon
- Producers: Jonathan D. Krane
The Chocolate War
SOMETIMES REVENGE IS BITTER, NOT SWEET.
- List Price: $19.95
- Your Price: $19.95
- In Stock: -814
You must login to place orders.
Based on Robert Cormier's controversial novel - once the most widely banned book in America -this "starkly beautiful" (San Francisco Chronicle) allegory of abusive power is set in a Catholic boy's school where a chocolate sale becomes a war over conformity. Jerry (Ilan Mitchell-Smith, Weird Science) is a student who refuses to take part, undercutting ambitious school administrator Brother Leon (John Glover, Scrooged). Leon secretly enlists Archie (Wallace Langham credited as Wally Ward, Ford v. Ferrari) - the sadistic mastermind of the school's resident gang - to force Jerry into line. But motives and results are far more complex than they first seem in this 'fascinating film done with style, with care and with excellence" (Los Angeles Times)
- High Definition (1080p) presentation of the main feature in 1.85:1 aspect ratio
- Audio: English 5.1 Surround , English LPCM Mono, Spanish Mono
- Optional English, French and Spanish Subtitles
- Feature Commentary By Director Keith Gordon
- Interview – Director Keith Gordon Discusses ‘The Chocolate War’
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Collectible Mini-Poster
- Limited Edition Slipcover (First Pressing Only)
- First Time Ever on Blu-ray!
- 1988 Chicago International Film Festival, Gold Hugo NOMINEE. Best Feature: Keith Gordon (director
- The film received mostly positive reviews from critics, and currently has a score of 82% on Rotten Tomatoes!
- Based on the controversial best-selling novel by Robert Cormier.
- Great 80’s soundtrack features music by Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Joan Armatrading and Yaz!
- 1989 Film Independent Spirit Awards NOMINEE. Best First Feature: Jonathan D. Krane (producer), Keith Gordon (director)
- Stars John Glover (Scrooged), Ilan Mitchell-Smith (Weird Science), Wallace Langham (Ford v Ferrari) Adam Baldwin (Full Metal Jacket) Doug Hutchison (The Green Mile) Jenny Wright (St. Elmo’s Fire) and Bud Cort (Harold and Maude)
- Written and Directed by Keith Gordon (A Midnight Clear, Mother Night, The Singing Detective)
- From Producer Jonathan D. Krane (Face/Off)
Powerful, eerily somber and possessed with just the right amount of black humor.
A first-rate adaptation of Robert Cormier's dark, cautionary tale about personal freedom... a haunting allegory... may be best remembered as the directing debut of Keith Gordon.
—Sheila Benson, LA Times
Starkly Beautiful... Electrifying.
—The San Francisco Chronicle
A fascinating film done with style, with care and with excellence in every department.
—Los Angeles Times